At Grace Hopper Bangalore India 2015 this week I was part of a fun session that offered speed mentoring for lean start ups. It was part of the entrepreneurship track designed for business owners, employees and those considering to start their own venture.
Tathagat hosted the session which focused on the following case study with us the panelists:
- Mythily Ramesh talked about how she transitioned from the corporate world in Wipro to the start up world and her incredibly interesting social enterprise NextWealth which helps rural Indian university towns develop a sillicon economy based on cheaper off-shoring.
- Zainab Bawa CEO of HasGeek Media talked about building a developer ecosystem in India by organising communities and helping developers hone and consolidate their talent through highly selective speaking engagements.
- And finally I talked about how raising funding has caused What’sMySize to pivot its business model dramatically over the years. Focusing on how my relationship with board has adapted and changed.
After which we broke out into groups and discussed specific questions from entrepreneurs right here in India. I loved some of the great new economy ideas being discussed. I was particularly excited by the medication distribution for near to expiring product as well as the dhobiwala (or laundrette) app.
I heard two things consistently in my groups which I am now thinking about;
- “My husband has started this business and now I want to make it successful, how do I …. ?”
- “How do I break into international markets while based in India?”
Elsewhere at this incredible technology focused conference attended by 2.5K people mainly women I was really impressed by talks on Indian farming and Skype translations services.
This conference beats SXSW hands down because it infuses real technology talks with the usual marketing and futurology one expects. What makes it unique is how many of the strands were focused on supporting women into the highest rung of an organisation and how many go-getting students I met. Loved it and the people around me loved the gifts (selfi sticks, bluetooth speakers, bags, headphones, GOQiii band to name but a few).
See you all in 2016 !